I was the first, in 2010, black teacher in my school district. I went to an open call with one of my cohorts. When she learned that I was offered a job, she jokingly asked me if I was their "token". I didn't think it was funny. What I learned as I began my career, was that for many of my colleagues I was the first black person they had ever had a serious conversation with, had in their homes or shared a cocktail with. You see, most of my colleagues grew up in the district and went to the same school that they were now teaching. It was, as Palmer described, a reflection of a "lifestyle enclave". Yet, the demographics of the classroom are markedly diverse, even from the rest of the schools in the district. I can only imagine how difficult it has been for teachers, students and parents when we are ill prepared in understanding social, political and cultural differences that we are bound to encounter in the classroom. We still have work to do and we are progressing, slowly I might add. There are still misunderstandings that could be made better if we all had more opportunities to develop the habits listed in this week's reading. I was especially intrigued by the "Action Circle". I think that would be an excellent way to bridge the gap between teacher training and education. It scares me a little bit to have these open conversations but it is necessary.
Which tradition do you most identify with? (please explain) Why do you think this is? How does it show up in your teaching?
I most identify with the social justice tradition. I absolutely believe that it is important to include discussions and contemplation of social concerns of the world. If we are to truly prepare students for life beyond school, then how can we not concern ourselves and our students with what is going on around us? Oblivion is what most likely got us into social problems in the first place. I identify with this tradition because of my own life experiences. I have lived racial and gender injustice and seen sexual orientation injustices, it is hard to ignore that in the classroom. I am sure that is why I took a minute to research the Tucson ethics study program because of an experience that imprinted on me many years ago that I will never forget. One Thanksgiving, which is a tradition with my family, is to go to the movies after dinner. That year we saw Posse. It was a western that featured a predominantly black cast. As I sat in the theatre, as 23 years old, I had to truly think about whether black people were in the United States during the setting of the movie. I was appalled at myself because I had to really think about it. All I could remember learning in school was slavery and then Martin Luther King, Jr. There was nothing in between. So when I get the opportunity to show another side of things, call into question the rights and wrongs and how can we be better, I do so.
How would you describe your teaching self? Share a teaching experience which illustrates this.
I had to think about this one a while, which I imagine is the whole point. I would describe my teaching self as a sharer. I teach with openness so that they can see me as a real human being. One who is imperfect, does stupid things, has bad days but can still show up and show out. I teach from love. The love of learning, people, laughing and discipline. Discovery doesn't stop because the school day is done. There is something to be learned and taught to everyone. Just laugh and work hard. And so it is....
In the middle of checking morning work, my vice principle walked into my room. We were working on order of operations. He pointed out that one of the answers were wrong. I realized that I had taught it completely wrong. I shared that with my students, apologized for not catching myself. I told them that we needed to unlearn then relearn the correct way solve an equation using the order of operations. I had everyone stand up and turned on Taylor Swift's Shake it Off and we had a dance break to shake off the bad teaching ju ju,. I danced around too! Then we got back to work.
LaVonna
ReplyDeleteI look forward to your posts every week because they are honest, and powerful. Your experiences bring to the table poignant and critical topics that all teachers need to consider. I feel honored you bring your voice to this class and share the real life legitimate concerns. You are correct, they are conversations that need to be had. I don't know what other courses you have had, but you may be interested into looking into Critical Social Theory. Pretty intense class, but would certainly be relevant.
You say “ I can only imagine how difficult it has been for teachers, students and parents when we are ill prepared in understanding social, political and cultural differences that we are bound to encounter in the classroom”. Absolutely. Im sitting here with my morning coffee just letting that sink in. Having worked in inner city schools, to a very rural school, the populations I have encountered are as diverse as they come. Every experience was (and continues to be) a learning opportunity every single day. There is always another layer of humanity to discover in and out of the classroom. It is our responsibility to shed assumptions and authentically know. This is where the reflective tools we are working with work so well IF we genuinely engage with the process. It is an action. An interaction. A conversation.
Isn't it interesting how a single moment (Your movie example) can completely change our outlooks and call into question all we thought we knew? As disorienting as that can be, these moments are gifts and opportunities. It sounds as if you have had more than your fair share.
I LOVE your example of having to unlearn and re-learn. It takes great courage and humbleness to share that with your class. I especially love you got up and danced! Shake it off. I can picture it all :) In my long history of teaching, there have been times where I suddenly realized I taught something incorrectly and like you, stopped everything and shared with them my error. Those moments make us better teachers I think. It helps the students realize we are not the “know all” never wrong perfect walking encyclopedias. It humanizes us. In fact, my students know I have mild dyslexia and are forever adjusting my spelling and sometimes sentences when I write them on the board. They look after me that way. It empowers them a little and I KNOW they feel less sad about there own learning hurdles when they see I too have my own. Ph.D or not, spelling will plague me forever.
In revisiting your metaphor, I feel the symbolism much more clearly (and powerfully) after reading your post. Its as if the images are the “reading between the lines” of your post.
Lavonna-
ReplyDeleteWhen I read your posts, I always think about how brave, strong, and honest you are. This week is no different. I enjoy that you share the personal experiences that you are having in your own school. You take the required readings and make them seem more tangible, real, and relevant to how they are affecting you. I agree with many of your points! Social justice is extremely important and how great of a position are you in to be able to bring these topics to the forefront!
The colleges that I have attended have been ethnically diverse, but now after coming back to teach in a rural/agricultural school, I see the limits that are placed on students culturally. Both of the high schools where I have taught are predominately filled with white/Caucasian students with little to no reference of the world around them. When I first began my teaching journey, my husband and I had roommates. One of my dear friends who we lived with was a black male and he was homosexual. Boy, did the eyebrows begin to rise when students found out about this! I tell you this story only because, I feel like outsiders who have been sheltered from the world do not always understand or connect to things that they do not understand. Oftentimes, their viewpoints have been narrowed and sculpted by their families and surrounding peers. Though tricky, as art teachers, I think we have great potential in opening up the hearts and minds of our youth in a way that maybe we can bring awareness about social injustice and all the issues that get tangled up in the mix.
Thank you for posting your intriguing, and inspirational reflection…
Hi Lavonna! I really enjoyed reading your post this week, and I so appreciate your openness regarding the school context section of the reading. While I was reading, I thought to myself that this part of education really, really needs to be talked about more than it is. I’m currently in an upper-level certification course in which we have spent much of the semester focusing on the societal and cultural issues inherent in schools. It has been extremely enlightening and insightful to really talk about these types of issues and get so many different viewpoints. Tying in with Annette’s comments and your reflections in your post, I hope to teach in a K-12, rural school, and I think that very often the students in these schools don’t have the opportunity to learn and explore these types of societal and cultural issues - mainly based on location and population of the area. It is my hope to highlight these issues and get them thinking. I think of this being very similar to your thoughts about being a “sharer”. Oh and I absolutely LOVE that you played “Shake it Off” and danced with your students! What a great way to engage them, be human with them and tie it in to instruction!
ReplyDeleteThank you Anna. I absolutely agree with you that this subject needs to be talked about. We should "marinate" in this topic long before we receive a certificate. It is a shame to me that in order to "go there" you must take a graduate course to do so. This should be required. You never know where you may end up teaching. I never thought I would end up in this district but I did.
Delete“I was the first, in 2010, black teacher in my school district. I went to an open call with one of my cohorts. When she learned that I was offered a job, she jokingly asked me if I was their "token". I didn't think it was funny.” Stop. The nerve of that woman to say something like that just blows me away. I love the fact that you are facing this issue head on, as we should, and are putting a brave foot ahead of you and opening the conversation of teacher training and education because I also heavily agree with that statement.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading this and some of your previous blogs, I feel as though some of our teaching methods coincide with on another. I love your ability to speak openly and honestly about your personal experiences and the fact that yes, things happen that can make you feel uncomfortable but it’s how you handle the situation that truly matters. Keep up the great work!