Friday, February 6, 2015

Curiculum Search

Our curriculum has undergone serious overhaul.  We have been working on curriculum for several years and will continue to.  It should never be complete if we truly expect to educate students.  Unfortunately, this last year, the objective of the curriculum team changed, as well it should have and it has been a world wind for this year.  What we thought we accomplished last year, was not what we were provided with and we had no clue as to what we were to teach for reading and science.  When we finally got that some what straightened out, our grade cards had something totally different on them.  Whew, frustration all around.  The curriculum teams are now on a path that has the potential for unlimited success.  This is certainly an area where being a reflective teacher is beneficial.  It is where I agree with the criticism of Schon's position on reflection.  Curriculum disserves the sharing out of ideas, views and misconceptions when problem solving. 

Today's curriculum is so much different than my own school experiences.  I went to school in the 70's and 80's and what was good, no longer is.  We did not necessarily focus on comprehension skills that I can recall.  We read, answered questions and completed worksheets, that's it.  I imagine that a lot of it had to do with how we treated students in classrooms.  I distinctly remember three 6th grade classes (it was still considered elementary then).  There was a low, average and gifted class.  Gifted students were always participating in some type of project or other and the low class were always working in groups.  The rest of us were worksheet babies.  We didn't make any type of connections and we most certainly didn't give two hoots about the author or his or her intent.  I do not recall doing any major writing until high school.  Even then there were no substantive expectations. I once wrote a book report on Uncle Tom's Cabin, which I hadn't read, based solely on the blurb on the inside flap and got an A.  Absolutely would not happen today, right? Our curriculum has much higher expectations, and well, more faith in the ability of children.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Good morning Lavonna,

    Wow! Sure sounds like your school is in the midst of curriculum upheaval! Who are the curriculum teams? Are they teachers from your school?

    I hear many stories of curriculum being developed behind closed doors where I am sure there are likely some very juicy discussions and hopefully some in-depth processing of ideas. Is there always deep reflection? Not as sure. What I see part of the trouble being, is the curriculum folk come back out with the finished product and the rest of the school (district what have you) has no clue as to the process, the “WHY” of what matters, or the “HOW” of how they reached a certain conclusion. The implementation of curriculum falls short because the process behind the product remains hidden. Wouldn't it be interesting to film the discussion and process of the curriculum design crew as it happens? Document HOW and WHY certain decisions were made? Then (Im going to be a little radical here) ALLOW each teacher to add their own insight and voice to the mix for their particular content and classroom as the final product is created.

    I too recall my own elementary (and middle) education having that segregated structure. I was grouped with the “dumb” kids (as I remember it in my third grade mind) I could not spell and writing was a terrible thing for me. I still struggle (as it turns out, I have mild dyslexia, but no one knew that then). I remember that feeling of watching the teacher point to each student and send them to one room or another. Ironically, I wanted the other room because the covers to the spelling books were so beautiful (and my friend was there, always a plus), I could not imagine working with the dull flat one which was the alternative. Well, I never got the beautiful spelling book, I was allotted to the slow group with the dull lifeless spelling book. I was crest fallen. I was stupid and had to use the ugly book. Funny how things stick with you. It took me MANY years to see myself as something more than “the slow group”

    Thank you for sharing a “What if?” I truly believe if we all ask these wondrous questions and act on them, even a little bit, things WILL change. The power of one is immense. :)

    ReplyDelete