Saturday, February 7, 2015

Week 3

I absolutely agree that that this week's reading was a lot to chew on.  But it was tasty!  I truly appreciate the organization of the text.  The "stop and think" questions gives the reader a moment to reflect which is what it is all about.  I could, as the lesson introduction suggested, go on for weeks about my thoughts and realizations from the reading.  There were many places that caused me to put down the reading and just think and think and think.  One in particular was the discussion on mindfulness, or "to pay attention to the right here, right now and to invest in the present moment with full awareness and concentration"(p.19) . This was my sweet spot.   Being present in the moment is something that I have been practicing personally.  I have responded with "stay present in the moment" to my students so many times, that when someone asks a question that has nothing to do with what is going on a student will respond with that statement before I do.  What struck me so personally was the comparison to Zen.  Yin and Yang is a symbol of Zen and I have several tattoos that reflect that.  One in particular is the symbol in the shape of an apple.  When my vice principle saw it, he said, "what are you, some kind of Zen teacher?"  To which I responded, why yes I am.  I'm thinking this is another quality of a good teacher. 

1. Questions

Button pusher - In what ways might the structure of classrooms and schools contribute to and/or discourage teacher reflectivity?

I am a post-it note fanatic.  I don't take notes, instead, I jot down my thoughts as I am reading and post it on the page.  As I was reading the section on openmindedness, I posed a question on the note "Does education encourage openmindedness?"  I worked myself into a frenzy answering my own question.  How perfect it was to find this question at the end of the reading, it pushed my buttons. 

I believe that classroom and schools discourage teacher reflectivity.  Doesn't the institution of education present itself as a "neatly packaged as a set of techniques for teachers to use" as Dewey described as an unreflective teacher? (p.10)   Classroom text that is meant to support the curriculum is often purchased outside of teacher input.  Strategies are presented in answer to issues, challenges and concerns without reflecting on why the strategy should be used.  These things are to be blindly accepted with the reminder that this or that is "research based" and so it is what works.  I detest the "research based" adjective because I am certain that the person saying it has no idea who conducted the research or what their findings were.

The type of reflection described by Ziechner and Liston is not exactly what happens outside of the classroom.  There are many teachers, including myself, who reflect in and on action.  However, the result of those reflections are usually unwelcome outside of the classroom.  In my experience, I have seen teachers admonished by administration for evening questioning a decision especially if it is not supportive.  How can this be an atmosphere for reflection if it is made clear that one is to do what they are told? Even though administration tries very hard to ensure teacher "buy in", another phrase that pushes my buttons, to me it is most often superficial.  They want reflectivity in the classroom but it seems that there is no use for it beyond that. 

Inspiring - This was not exactly framed as a question, but Ziechner and Liston (2014) wrote:

                    Responsible teachers ask themselves why they are doing what they are doing
                    in a way that goes beyond questions of immediate utility (i.e., does it work) to
                    consider the ways in which it is working, why it is working, and for whom it
                    is working. (p.11-12)

Yes, Yes, Yes.  Teaching is not centered exclusively on believing in the ideology of others as education gospel.  It is my responsibility to go beyond that thin line of reflection.  It is so much more than just focusing on whether something is or is not working.  I do not have to be the expert in the classroom.  The learning opportunities that also extend to me from my students makes me responsible.  What a weight off of a teacher's shoulders.  Teaching is a puzzle, sometimes one that changes every day.  Just when I think I have the last piece, I don't.  But that is the beauty in this statement.  Those moments when I am sitting in my  classroom reflecting on these things is exactly what I am supposed to do. It is so easy for me to say snap out of if, grade some papers, make some copies but the time that I take to question is just as important as anything else I could be doing.  I'm okay.

Challenging - What is an example of an educational theory that you hold about teaching that is based on your own teaching experiences?  How does it relate to the public theories about the issue contained in education literature?

There are only rare instances in which a students' home life prevents them from being successful in the classroom.  Students with low socioecomics who have issues in school, whether it be academically or behaviorally, tend to have that standing viewed as the reason for the issues.  In my experience, this is not true.  Due to the increasing diversity in every district, there will be varying levels economic standing.  This does not mean that they are struggling in class because they didn't get enough sleep or didn't have enough to eat.  It also does not mean that their parents do not understand the value of a solid education.  In fact, some of my bravest, hardest working students are those who live below the national poverty level.  It is the reaction of teachers who themselves live at or above poverty level that exacerbate any issues in the classroom.  There is a difference between understanding and pity and most of these students receive pity with a blanket excuse for their behavior and the lack of high expectation set by the teacher.  In fact, it has been those students who have more than enough that have the most issues in class because of the pressure placed on them by their parents and all of the extra curricular actives that they have during the week that suffer the most.  Who are so eager to please and strive to be the best that anything less sends them into a mental breakdown.

This of course is the opposite of what educational literature tells us.  Ruby Payne, a much quoted theorist of poverty and the classroom, and others like her place a high regard on impoverished students.  They have trouble learning being because they are hungry, sleepy, or worried.  The socioeconomic status of a student plays a great role in the classroom and should be taken into consideration at every tern because it can and does affect students in the classroom.  My theory is absolutely contradicts this. 

2.  Three attitudes:

Openmindedness - I can say unequivocally that I am on the cusp of becoming a critical believer.  That is, one who "listens to and accepts the strengths and weaknesses of his or her own and others' perspectives" (p.11).  For me, it is the way I conduct my personal life, so naturally, it filters into my professional one.  My favorite Maya Angelou quote, one that I share with my students every year, is "When you know better, you do better".  The only way to know better, in my mind, is to examine my own views through the examination of others.  What pushes me closer to being a critical believer as opposed to a sophisticated believer is that I am more interested in what others think.  Not because I necessarily want to prove myself right but because it is the only way to grow.  I say that I am on the cusp because I have had struggles in my professional life with the openmindedness of others, or rather, the lack of.  I am positive that this is a situation that occurs more often than not.  In my first year, I was on a curriculum team.  A substitute, who was a beloved retired teacher, said to me, "Oh you are a first year teacher, you shouldn't say anything".  I gave her the eyes.  I can get extremely passionate about the lack of openmindedness of others to point where I do become defensive.  This is a quality in a teacher that cannot be dismissed or overlooked.  Withought the willingness to understand growth will not happen.


Responsibility - This was an entirely new way of thinking about reflection for me.  During my pre-service teacher education, my instructors were partial to a certain template for lesson planning.  The last category was reflection.  I do not recall what instruction we were given for it, but I know I use it to determine how the lesson went or the "immediate utility" as the author's referred to it.  Not to imply that I do not reflect on the why or for whom of it all, I just never did it all together.  My reflection was compartmentalized.  It is my responsibility to meld all of those things together, is this moment working, why is working and exactly who is it working for.  This makes me a responsible, reflective practicioner of truth.

Wholeheartedness -  This discussion on attitude was my favorite.  Wholeheartedness was defined The authors were clear to remind us that just be cause teachers are reflective through openmindedness, responsibility and wholeheartedness, does not ensure success.  I can do what I believe to be right for everyone and it still may fail, but that is okay.   

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lavonna,

    Wow!, this little book is clearly unearthing a lot of thought for you! This is a wonderful thing :). I too love this little book and it really got my wheels turning, does every time I read it.

    We have so many different perspectives in our class this term! This should make for rich discussion in the weeks to come. It is my hope, that through the many different perspectives and experiences, we can all gain broader and more in-depth compassionate understanding and appreciation for the diversity that is education.

    A lot of what you speak to in your post, addresses policy implementation, and it can feel exactly as you described. Top down policy implementation often disregards the true implementors (the teachers). This can make for very uncomfortable situations as you have described above. I applaud your devotion to your students (in the face of prescriptive measures) in all that you do.

    Take a deep breath (I know I need to often enough!) :) Teaching is a life long learning process :) We learn from ourselves, each other and our students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LaVonna’s Being present in the moment is something I always think about, if its with teaching, walking down the street and most of all doing artwork. We as teachers have to see the world with eye that are not just in our own world, but also each and ever student in the classroom. It’s that think that helps us as educator see what our students are seeing. We live in a world that is about the moment and sometimes we need to just remember to stop and look back we need to see what is in the past also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. High five to meeting a fellow post-it note fanatic! I feel that I often need short snip its of information otherwise I never refer back to my original notes. What I have noticed as an issue with reflectivity is the fact that there is no "scheduled" time for reflecting. As an electives teacher I feel like I barely have time to get supplies out for my students to have time for much of anything else unless I'm taking care of it outside of school. But as we both know outside of school is also outside of contract hours which I know with certain teachers drives them crazy. I feel that for my own sanity and teaching style I need to take the time to reflect on issues that occurred with the classroom so that I'm better able to approach them the next time it happens.

    ReplyDelete