The artistic process is exactly like my teaching process. When I began to think about the video project, I started with the question that intrigued me the most. I don't usually thinking about my placement in the room. When I begin to teach a new unit, I zoom into the portion that intrigues me as well. When I spend time immersing myself what I want to teach, the wonder that I feel comes through in my teaching. Just like making art, lesson planning begins with a vision. It begins with the end in mind. But there are so many roads from what is in the mind to the final project and none should be dismissed. It is also true that while in the midst of creating, whether art or teaching, you might find that what was envisioned is just not working. It may be necessary right in the middle what was planned to go another route. That is the beauty of both, change is welcome and at times necessary.
TED TALKS
Each of these speakers delivered thought provoking talks. It is so interesting to me to hear other peoples' impressions of things and stuff. It causes me to rethink my own position education. My Spanish teacher in high school used to say to learn another language is to understand your own. I think this is true of all things, especially when hearing others' thoughts and opinions.
Shekar Kapur - I thoroughly enjoyed this piece. He reminded me of Joseph Campbell whom I adore (if you have the opportunity to take a humanities course that focuses on the work of Joseph Campbell, I highly recommend it). What resonated with me was his excitiement of contradiction when he was speaking about the different looks he takes when reviewing a movie. He actually used the word "wondrous" when the different points of view contradict. I will definitely remember that. Sometimes, I think we are afraid of contradiction. We all have to "be on board" or have "buy in" when it is opposing views that can truly bring out both the positives and negatives of a situation.
Ken Robinson - I have seen this one many times and it inspires me every time. This video reminds me to never stop planning for my student's future. Until the establishment can come to terms with what it really means to educate for the 21st century student and it is reflected in curriculum, I can still find ways to incorporate that learning inside the classroom.
Emily Polliton: OMG! What her organization is doing is so incredible. It made me wish that I could be a part of it. And wouldn't you know, with a little research, Project H has expanded to California. What hit home for me is the need to include community. It is so important to involve parents at every opportunity. Not just those times when I have to make "those calls" but those good news calls too. I have on occasion had parents come in and talk to students. They love it and so did the parents. This is something that I want to do more of.
No comments:
Post a Comment