- Curriculum based on generative themes
- studio art projects based on divers practices
- art as an investigation
Teaching discomfort
I have the most discomfort when it is time to be evaluated. We know the week that they are coming, but we don't know when. I know I am a good teacher. It is reflected in the growth of my students. Which unfortunately I am supposed to take credit for because teacher success is measured by student success. Really, I am merely a catalyst, the students do all the work for which I should neither take credit nor fault. But that is another story. I am 80% unconventional teacher. We sing and dance, we run around the room to show our understanding of how moleules react, we go outside we go on black ops missions to observe other classrooms. I mean, we slink down the hallways, me in the lead using hand signals until we make it to the other class. I do crazy stuff and they learn. But I also know the value of conventional teaching. There is a need for small group teaching, scaffolding and reteaching. So when I am being evaluated, it is very easy for me to call on the PD's and faculty meetings to show that I am using those strategies that they expect to see. Once, my principal walked in while I was teaching a science lesson. Even though I knew my students weren't ready, I broke them into small groups just so that my principal could see it. It was a disaster, my students were not ready. It reflected so in the evaluation too. I vowed never to do that again because I have to do what my students need not what administration wants to see.
Yes, I think you are right about the postmodern curriculum being relevant for all subjects. As contemporary classrooms encourage the use of interdisciplinary overlaps it seems that these concepts would be vital to the framework. I also think that no matter what class or subject is being taught there are ways to implement more conceptual lesson plans. I’m hoping that I can include more projects that focus on topics such as identity, culture, and social justice. Like you, I feel that studying the past and present is important. This is how students can begin to see where influences and inspirations come from. These studies can become a jumping off point in which students can begin to make meaningful learning connections.
ReplyDeleteThe way you describe your teaching style paints a wonderful picture in my mind! I relate to this discomfort of observation. I feel like much of teaching is being able to escape yourself for a little while, perhaps planning through an adults eye, then teaching and engaging through a child’s. I love the feeling of being able to joke and be silly with my students and they love it too, and then learn to love art and learning. Back to Rita Pierson, “kids don’t learn from people they don’t like”. Who doesn’t like to laugh. If we can’t enjoy our job, I feel like we are stuck in the “work” self, not “professional” or “vocational” self. How can we get kids to learn if teaching is just a job to us? This transition into another’s shoes so that we may connect with them is tricky, and when that very authoritative and adult administrator walks in we are tempted to retreat back into that adult self so as to relate to the invader, at the risk of losing our students.
ReplyDeleteLaVonna,
ReplyDeleteI had no trouble at all imagining you slinking down the hall... in fact, I had music playing in the version in my version... something pink panther'ish.... It sounds like you imbue a great deal of play into your teaching and whats better than that/!!!!
Although I know sometimes Gude's writings push buttons (sometimes) I feel she offers relevant points for all of us to consider, be art, science, math etc.
I completely applaud your connection to/with your students and knowing what is best for them. The more I hear from you the more I would be honored to visit your classroom. I want to run around your room like a molecule!