Clayton,
I found your analysis of the qualities to be very interesting. Many times, I found myself noddin in agreement based on your understanding. Thank you for that. For example when you said that you "derive my energery from myself and often feel overwhelmed", I certainly understand. I think sometimes we are so passionate that it is hard to understand why students aren't. I am learning to think like a student who doesn't feel the same way about a subject as I do to help me plan. It's a process, but I am getting better at it.
One area that I disagreed with you was when you gave yourself a "4" for love of kids. In reading your thoughts, it is clear that you have an extreme love of kids. Will you share a bit more about not understanding their current self? What do you mean by that?
I absolutely agree with you about how our own personal beliefs sometimes influence us more than our training. My class had French pen pals last year. In France, you only have one year of formal training to become certified to teach. She was amazed that I had gone to school for so long. A strong set of personal beliefs can be more effective in the classroom than anything else. As well as some life experience. I think that is what has helped me in the long run. I spent 20 years in the business world before I decided to teach. What a blessing....
I had a difficult time deciding what could be added because it all sounded like advice I wish someone would have told me. I am not sure if there is a difference.
These are wonderful comments LaVonna! Make sure to post them on Clayton's page too!
ReplyDelete