Saturday, January 31, 2015

Parker Palmer Reflection Week 2


I do not entirely agree with Palmer's opinion of the conventional classroom. Contrary to his description, students do make observations, are more active in their learning and community is important in the classroom. Of course, the text was written more than 20 years ago and the climate of today's conventional has changed. That is not to say that the type of classrooms he described no longer exist. I am positive that it does. But I think that today's conventional classroom includes more of the “truth” that Palmer wished for.

However, in response to the question, “Is there objectivism present in my classroom and in my teaching?” yes and no. When I consider math and science, I have to admit that I have a strong sense of objectivism that Palmer referred to. Palmer (1993) wrote, “The idea of objectivism is that the knower is a “blank slate receiving the unadulterated imprint of whatever facts are floating around out there” (p.35). The “blank slate” mentality is exactly what happens, especially in those content areas. I am not certain if that is so bad. Math is about facts and logic. Is there anything to be subjective about? Regarding science, while it is true that there is more lecturing in this area, but students also learn from observation. It is still the “reports on the reports of other explores” but it goes beyond the just listening to those reports. Science includes confirming, observing and thinking about the ideas of others.

I did not have any teachers like Abba Felix. I went to school during a time when teaching was all lecture and no discussion. We sat in rows, never did any group work and learning was all about the fittest. I remember in one class where we sat in rows according to our grades. Thinking about it now, I cannot imagine what the person who was in the last seat felt like. My early education was exactly like the conventional classroom that Palmer referred to. When I was in third grade, we had to memorize this poem. I have no idea why but we could not go to recess until we did. That was more than 30 years ago and I can still recite that damn poem, “Little lamb, who made thee? Dost thou know who made thee?”But it was also a time when school lunches were delicious with big fluffy rolls with a pat of butter, no single child that I can remember with a peanut allergy, diabetes or with Celiac disease. So my mom could bake cupcakes for the class. But anyway, I digress. I am not upset about it, because I did learn a thing or two. I know that was way things were done then, it was the best practices at the time. We've come a long way since then.

Regarding things that get in the way of my passion, I could go on and on. Most of the things are out of my control and I am trying to focus less on those things (time, curricular restraints, administrative duties) and more on those in which I have some control. Which leads me to the biggest obstacle which is myself. Specifically, it is the conversations that I have with myself that get in the way. Those conversations surrounding how there is not enough time to teach or I wish we had more computer time or simply wishing I had more instead of concentrating on what I do have to work with. From those talks, I find myself less passionate about reading and writing which is what drove me into teaching. It becomes a chore as opposed to a pleasure. Hurumph!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lavonna! I wholeheartedly agree with your idea that the conventional classroom today does include more “truth” and that education as a whole is striving toward a more community-based, mutual learning-type model. I feel like the ability to work this way is one of those 21st century skills that have become important to include and foster in our classrooms today. I think that your thoughts about math and science and how they relate to objectivism are accurate. When you asked if there is any way to make math subjective, I sat and thought about that for a second. I think that is hard to do, math is really all about logic and facts. There may be ways through integration with other subjects to make math a bit more subjective, but I do feel that at its core it is quite objective. Science, however, I think is very flexible when it comes to objective vs. subjective. Critical thought and developing hypotheses/experiments, etc. can be quite conducive to subjectivity. I cringed when you talked about sitting in rows according to your grades – yikes! That sounds so scary. It reminded me of a teacher/classroom experience I had in college that apparently I had suppressed due to the negativity of the experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious why you feel today’s classrooms have more troth than in Palmer’s time. I feel the opposite. I grew up in a very run of the mill NCLB school. I feel my school was the epitome of the criticism NCLB and high stakes testing received. Now, I did get a lot of freedom in high school to explore my interests, but there was not structure and this wasn’t due to good teacher choices. I think kids today do have more of a connection to the world through their technology in regards to info, but less meaningful connection because its through a screen instead of face to face. I strongly believe there are all sorts of schools out there today as in his time, doing the right and wrong things. I think the new changes with 21st century skills and common core are a step in the right direction, but schools are still transitioning to this mentality. Especially marginalized schools. I like that you mentioned collaboration, I do feel like this is a positive step towards the community Palmer speaks of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi LaVonnna,

    You clearly spend a good deal of time considering and examining how you work with your students. You are considering what you are up to from many angles. This is to be commended! I am also noting that you tend to be a little hard on yourself! Be mindful to notice where all the things your doing well already are benefiting your teaching and your students!
    I agree with you that the Marzano list excels in clearly defining many strategies which are useful. Remember that the Marzano list is a guide, not a do all and do all well. As you point out in your Parker Palmer reflection, different subjects lend themselves to different kinds of presentation and processing. Some of the Marzano goals are more relevant than others for each teacher. What is interesting is considering how you developed the methods you employ in your teaching. Was it something taught to you? In response to your students needs? School climate? What motivates the choices and decisions you make as a teacher? These are to be asked with wonder, not through a judgmental lens. You mention that conversations with yourself are what get in the way of your passion. What conversations are you having? Maybe we can reframe them to reignite your excitement about reading and writing! Keep that passion alive to help combat the other pressures :)

    ReplyDelete