I chose to use a flower to create my visual lineage. I also chose to make this flower myself as opposed to using an image because I accept the fact that I am not perfect and neither is my educational genealogy. The shape and color of the petals as well as the font represent those memories that have had more of an affect on me than others.
This proved to be a challenge. There were many more teachers and many more moments that I could have used. As I was creating the document, other teachers began to filter in and I would stop to reflect on whether I should add him or her but then I could not decide who to take out. However, as the course continues, I can certainly add more.
It appears that I focused almost exclusively on the relationships that I had with my teachers. I quite frequently hear how relationships are important for students. I wonder if this could be why that is what I focused on when I thought back over the years? I also noticed that I could not clearly recall any influential moments from middle school. Again, I began to wonder why that is?

LaVonna, I fully understand about not being perfect. I have also had teachers that did not let me show what my art was all about. You just have to stand your ground and make what is on the inside and trying to get out. LaVonna, we all learn from many people and not all of them are teachers from the education perspective. Parents, family members, friends and co-workers can influence us.
ReplyDeleteHi LaVonna.
ReplyDeleteA lot of very interesting comments in your response!
Let me begin by saying, your geology image is fabulous. Your consideration of color, shape, fonts etc. deepen the meaning and make me want to know more! You can certainly add additional petals as the weeks progress, and do not be afraid to deconstruct and reconstruct what you have if you notice relationships or perceptions shifting.
Its strange, Ive had people in the past share with me that they have few or NO memories of middle school. (I see a research question forming here…) When you think of middle school, do you have any “feeling” memory? It is such a hugely transformative time for kids. They are growing and changing so quickly and NEED good teachers who know how to make a space for the hundred different moods they might move through in a day. Granted, middle school is my favorite age group…. It might be interesting to speak with someone who knew you then? Inquire as to whether or not hey have any memories about you at that time.
One of the important factors I heard you emphasizing was relationships. The flower is an excellent metaphor for this in that each petal is in relationship with the next and together they create the whole. I am curious about the center of the flower, with its absence of text and the color red?
Hi Amy,
ReplyDeleteThat could be interesting research regarding middle school. When I think about it, I think about my friends and more of the social atmosphere. I can only think of two teachers, one who paddled me and the other who was constantly comparing me to my brother, who stand out in my mind. I cannot recall anything spectacular that sticks out in my mind academically. Probably, as you mentioned, it is such a transformative (and hormonal) time that socializing clouds most anything else. Hummm.
I am glad that you asked that question about the center of my flower. I struggled with that one. First, I thought about adding my mother as truly my first teacher who has had the biggest influence on me as the center. But something about that didn't feel right. Then I thought about putting a picture of myself as the center of the flower but that would not be an accurate representation because I am influenced in teaching by more that what my first draft depicts. Finally, I decided to leave it blank because I am constantly being influenced by people around me. I chose the color red as a reminder to stop and reflect.
Hey LaVonna,
ReplyDeleteI can appreciate you choosing to focus more about the relationships of your teachers. I also did that. I think making that connection is sooo important and obviously it sticks with us. Good communication and having a connection with someone knowing that they cares about you and understands is priceless. We don't teach for the money, we teach for the experiences (at least that's why I do it :))
I think the middle school things is because we are so caught up in trying to figure out who we are and where we belong to really pay attention too much. It's a hard time for most people. My experience in middle school is a blur.
Lol, sorry about the Brewer Photography thing, it won't let me change it...
Delete- Emily Brewer
(From Jon)
DeleteHi Lavonna. Yours was the first genealogy tree I saw (aside from my own) and I was immediately struck by the descriptive content. Like you, I am more influenced by the memories of who these people were and how they made me feel than by any academic wisdom they may have imparted. It makes me want to find a way to add some backstory to my own picture. An aspect of your design that I think lends itself well to this project is that it can easily be expanded upon, with successive rings of smaller petals being added below the previous layer – perhaps with smaller petals in each ring (but therefore smaller text) to signify the decreasing degree of influential impact. This adds complexity, which, in my opinion, adds to the aesthetic. But then I’m a fan of complexity in art. Complex isn’t “better” than simple, but there are some instances where I like it just by virtue that one can immediately sense the sheer amount of time and meticulousness that went into it.